Garbage disposals are a great addition to any kitchen. They make clean up a breeze but they do take a beating. Many people are not aware of the do’s and don’ts that come along with garbage disposal “ownership”.
The “Don’ts” are what keep us Denver plumber’s busy year round with Denver garbage disposal repair and replacement. All too often people consider their garbage disposal invincible – able to shread anything you stuff down there…not true however. Garbage disposals are built to varying degrees of toughness but they all require some care to ensure long life.
Here are the Top 5 “Do NOT Put into your Garbage Disposal”:
- Rice and pasta- No matter how much water you run or how long you run the appliance, you can never break rice or pasta down small enough. Both items swell when they are in contact with water, so the small pieces will eventually gather in the trap and swell until it is closed.
- Animal bones- The garbage disposal is just not strong enough to break these down small enough to fit through. Animal bones are the most common thing that jams disposals.
- Grease- The grease will eventually solidify and clog a portion, or all, of your drain.
- Egg shells- Despite what you may have heard, egg shells do not sharpen disposal blades. I’m not even sure how someone would think that would work. Mostly they just end up clogging the line.
- Any kind of stringy or tough-peeled vegetable- This includes asparagus, lettuce, celery and potato peels. Maybe in a small amount the disposal can handle it, but I wouldn’t try it.
How to Clean Your Garbage Disposal
Even though the garbage disposal is designed to pulverize and remove kitchen waste from food products, food particles often become trapped in the nooks and crannies of the garbage disposal and kitchen drainpipe. This provides the perfect environment for mold and bacteria to grow and create unpleasant odors, as well as unhealthy spores.
At first, the odors may not be noticeable. However, given enough time and lack of cleaning, the unpleasant odors may become stronger as the bacteria and mold continue to grow. Cleaning the garbage disposal at least once a week with one of the following methods will help to keep it free of nasty bacteria and unsightly mold.
Method 1: Pour one half cup of baking soda down the kitchen drain. Carefully pour one cup of white vinegar down the drain on top of the baking soda. Place the drain stopper in the sink to close off the drain. If you have a double sink, you should do this for both of them. The mixture will fizz and make a bit of noise or fizzing sounds. Allow this to work its magic for a few minutes while you boil some hot water. Use a full teakettle or medium size pot of water. Once this has boiled, pour it down the drain.
Method 2: Using a clean container, mix a gallon of water with one tablespoon of liquid chlorine bleach. Carefully and slowly, pour the solution down the drain and allow it to sit for several minutes. Flush the drain thoroughly with cold water for several minutes.
Freshening the Garbage Disposal
Maintaining a clean garbage disposal using one of the above methods will help to keep it smelling fresh and odor free. Additionally, you can encourage this by grinding ice cubes in the garbage disposal to clean the cutting blades. Simply place several cubes in the drain and grind.
If you want to add a little bit of scent to the area, you can add rinds from any of the citrus fruits in the drain with the ice cubes. The citrus fruits include oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruits.
Garbage Disposal Service
We offer many types and sizes of Garbage Disposals. Depending on your kitchen demands, frequency of use and other considerations, we will give you our recommendation.
SUPER FAST DISPATCH FORM
I NEED A DENVER PLUMBER NOW!
No time to wait? Call Denver Plumbing and Heating firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the instant message form. Your request is immediately processed to dispatch.GO THERE
HOME OR BUSINESS PLUMBING SERVICE
Whether it's a small or large problem, at home or at your place of business, "A Denver Plumber" can help you fix the issue quickly, efficiently, and cost effective!REQUEST A PLUMBER
SUPER FAST SERVICE
Get Denver's fastest plumbing service via instant message! Fill out our Super Fast Dispatch form and your request is instantly processed to our dispatch center.